Many of us experience headaches from time to time.
Yet often at peak times of stress in our lives – like tight deadlines at work – they can be impossible to shift for days and even weeks at a time. These tension-type headaches can be incredibly debilitating and limit our ability to function properly in our day-to-day lives.
The most common type of a headache originates from tension, muscle stiffness or joint strain in the neck and upper thoracic region.
Other causes include:
- eye strain
- sinus congestion
- whiplash injury
- poor posture
- jaw imbalance and teeth grinding
- allergies and food intolerances.
What can an Osteopath do to help you?
Whilst patient responses to osteopathic treatment can vary from patient to patient – due to patient sensitivity to treatment and other lifestyle contributing factors – many people experience positive outcomes after osteopathic treatment.
Depending on your presentation an osteopath may do one or multiple of the following things:
- work on your general mobility
- improve the mobility of your ribs and thoracic and cervical spine
- investigate muscular tension, nerve compression and inflammation
- advice on posture, exercise and stretching to help prevent a recurrence of symptoms
- offer guidance on diet and preventing dehydration
- advise on improving the ergonomics of your home or workplace.